How We Work
The CLIMA Fund is a collaboration between Global Greengrants Fund, Grassroots International, Thousand Currents, and Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights. Together, with over 100 years of collective experience in international grassroots grant-making reaching 168 countries, we aim to raise and re-grant $10 million over the next 4 years to grassroots climate action across the globe.
Our funding supports a connected, empowered, and vibrant ecosystem of grassroots actors forging solutions to the climate crisis. From rapid response for environmental defenders to seed funding for emerging organizations to long-term partnerships with social movements, our four public foundations use complementary models to holistically support climate justice.
CLIMA Funding 101
Each targeted organization distributes money raised by the CLIMA Fund to strengthen and expand grassroots climate movements. We coordinate and funnel grantmaking to movement groups both large and small, emerging and established. But the goal is singular: to address climate impacts and work toward more sustainable economic and social systems for the future.
The organizations and individuals we partner with are:
- Addressing the root causes of climate change.
- Developing local resilience to climate impacts.
- Building awareness of and resistance to false solutions.
- Creating and growing authentic, community-led solutions.
- Nourishing connections and movements in different sectors and geographies.
- Engaging in human rights defense to protect the lives of people and communities engaged in climate justice activism.
- Emphasizing and elevating the leadership of women, youth, and Indigenous Peoples.